Friday 30 August 2013

[Movie Review] The Help + R.I.P.D.

So I stayed up to really late last night (or rather, till 3am this morning) to watch this movie that Nick introduced to me, called The Help.

I know, I've never heard it before either, but I watched it. It was talking about racism, and basically shows how they're mistreated in Jackson, Mississippi. Of course, it doesn't show the extreme (eg tarring and feathering, burning, beating), but they talk of it.

It's a movie about this lady called Skeeter (or Eugenia), who wants to write a book called "The Help", interviewing maids (in that time, all the maids were coloured) in Jackson. It shows how much effort she put in to get the maids to help her with the book, so that they can stop racism. It also shows how the maids change their minds and, ultimately, help her with her book. Skeeter's friends are all racists, so it's really hard for her to change their mindset, but she managed to publish the book in the end.

It's a very touching story. I cried like an idiot at the end of the movie, with like.. short crying in between. Definitely a good movie to watch. Not to mention that it's very.. what's the word, real?

I did a book called "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" for literature one - two years ago. It was horrible. In a sense that the book was too draggy in the beginning. There was a total of 12 chapters if I'm not wrong. Talks about the writer (who is coloured btw) as a child, how she was treated, how she saw the blacks being treated, how only one or two white people were good to her, how racism impacted her and her family as a whole and individually, etc. The only interesting part was the last 2 chapters, which was too long a wait if I were to comment. If this book was written as well as the script for The Help, I'd have adored that book.

Anyway, that's a 4.5/5 stars for The Help. Because I don't really understand their accent LOL. Not a relevant point though. Punch me for it.
(If you can't find it, you can watch it here.)


Also, I just finished watching R.I.P.D. Jenna told me it was a good movie, but I never had the time to watch it. Now that I finally do, I went ahead with it. Okay, first things first - RYAN REYNOLDS is so HOT. Anyone who denies that, you're weird.

Now that that's off my chest, it was a terrific movie! I like the idea of it cos it's really creative, like how they have dead humans working for the Rest In Peace Department, protecting the human world from any forms of intrusion / danger that the dead (who escaped from judgement) causes. I thought it was quite an interesting idea, that the other world might work like the human world.

I also like the idea of how the RIPD have a fake identity to hide their real one in the human world. Well, most people think that they'll look the same after death, but this puts a twist to what people usually think. It's kind of like.. unexpected. I like unexpected. Really nice concept.

I'd rate it a 5/5 stars, not because Ryan Reynolds is hot, he has nothing to do with this. But because I really like the idea, the concept, the storyline. And it doesn't have much suspense in the movie, like you know what they're doing from like.. 10 mins onwards? Even though the gold thing did suspend me a little but it didn't bother me as much, because you know what they're doing, even if you don't know what it's for.

That's all for now, will be watching more movies these 2 days. Sayou~

No comments:

Post a Comment